College of New Rochelle
Postcards from the Archives
Online adaptation by Susan Acampora
Read about the Postcards Exhibits
(The preceeding 6 postcards were created to commemorate
the College's 90th anniversary.)
c. 1937 Post Office on present site of Mooney
c. 1959 Major communication mode—mail box
c. 1959 Post Office
“You’ve got mail!”
postcards: the colored post card dates from about 1900. The rear
tower’s wooden turret was struck by lightning and destroyed in
1926. The “home” and first building of CNR, it was the Ursulines’
convent, school, college, dining room, and chapel until Chidwick
was built in 1907. Presently, the Castle houses College
Administration and faculty offices, reception rooms, and the
was built in 1907 and housed classrooms, laboratories, offices,
and a large state-of-the-art gymnasium/auditorium. It was
renamed Chidwick in 1935. Classrooms and Graduate School
offices are presently located there.
was the first residence hall for students built in 1913. It
contains rooms for students, a large ballroom (once the dining
room), and college offices. The building will soon be undergoing
Holy Family Chapel
dates to 1923. The ivy was removed because of structural damage;
the interior has been renovated several times.
completed in 1926 houses laboratories and classrooms. Designed
by the same architect as Brescia (Talbot Hamlin & H. McGill) it
has charming exterior ornament devices.
completed in three stages in 1926 is a student residence hall.
It follows the collegiate gothic architectural style of other
completed in 1932 (demolished for Wellness Center in 1999), had
a large gymnasium, swimming pool, social area, dressing rooms,
Irene Gill Library
Mother Irene Gill Memorial Library
completed in 1938 and renovated in 2001 is the center of library
services for all campuses.
Dining Hall (Student Campus Center)
Student Campus Center,
previously, the Dining Hall, houses food services,
meeting rooms, and offices of Student Services, and Security,
and the bookstore. It was completed in 1949.
Angela Merici Hall,
opened in 1958 as a residence for seniors. Today it has student
rooms, the School of Nursing Learning Center and offices.
(re-named the Mooney Center) built in 1960 has a theater,
art studios, student lounge, and offices.
Panoramic Views of the Campus