THE COLLEGE OF NEW ROCHELLE GILL LIBRARY

 

GYMNASIUM > SPORTS BUILDING > WELLNESS CENTER
Go to Library Exhibits Archive

 On-site Exhibit by Sister Martha Counihan, O.S.U.
 On-line adaptation by Susan Acampora

                                                                          

  On April 24, 2008 The College of New Rochelle will dedicate its newest athletic facility, the Wellness Center. Like its predecessors, this will be a multi-purpose building. The Wellness Center is focused on the physical, spiritual, and mental well-being of CNR students and community.
 
   

 

   From their inception in the 19th Century, American women’s colleges saw the inclusion of athletics as very important in forming a well-rounded individual. At the College of St. Angela, “The Gymnasium (1907) was the first sports facility for students and was simply called that until it was re-named Chidwick in 1937.

 


The Gymnasium
 
1907 “The Gymnasium”(now Chidwick)
Gymnasium exterior
click picture to enlarge

 
It was a state-of-the-art building incorporating a bead board golden oak-paneled gymnasium/auditorium, classrooms, laboratories, student lounge and administrative offices.  The Athletic Association had been founded in 1906.

Read more about:  Athletics at the College of New Rochelle
 

  1907 "The Gymnasium" interior
 

 

 

 

 

 

1907 "The Gymnasium" interior
In the 1970's this area was permanently closed
because of fire risks

click picture to enlarge
 

 1913 Entire CNR Student Body in the Gymnasium..
     1913 Entire CNR Student Body
in the Gymnasium 
click picture to enlarge
 


1911 Basketball Players
1911 Basketball Players

 


1908 First Commencement
1908 First Commencement
click picture to enlarge
 


 

c1908  Archery practice on what is now
c1908  Archery practice on what is now
Maura lawn
click picture to enlarge
 




1950’s Archery

1950’s Archery; students wore
regulation blue gym suits into the 1970’s
click picture to enlarge
 


Softball 1917
Softball 1917
click picture to enlarge

 

Field Day 1928
1928 Field Day on field presently over swimming pool area
click picture to enlarge

 

 

1932 Sports Building in Art Deco style

1932 Sports Building in Art Deco style

 

Twenty five years later, a growing student body and a more diverse curriculum necessitated a larger and more up-to-date gymnasium. Dedicated in 1932, the ultra-modern Art Deco Sports Building included a pool, gymnasium, social rooms, sports equipment, showers, dressing and exercise rooms.

1955 Entry to Sports Building
1955 Entry to Sports Building
facing Willow Drive

click picture to enlarge


Convocation in the Gymnasium 1963
1963 Convocation in the Gymnasium
click picture to enlarge

 The Sports Building was the site of many social and academic events.

 In 1944, an annual inter-class swimming and dancing contest began;

 


c1976 Swimphony/Landphony competition
c1976 Annual interclass Swimphony/Landphony competition
—water and land ballet
click picture to enlarge


Sports Building blue and white tile pool 1932
1932 Sports Building blue & white tiled pool
click picture to enlarge

“Swimphony” continued to spark spirit and competition among SAS and SON students into the 1990’s.
 

 

Tennis 1905
Tennis 1905
click picture to enlarge
Tennis Team 1930's
Tennis Team 1930s
click picture to enlarge
Tennis Team 1990's
Tennis Team 1990s
click picture to enlarge
 

 

 

CNR Blue Angels Basketball 1990's
1990’s CNR Blue Angels basketball
click picture to enlarge
 



 

 
Physical Education Faculty

Kathleen LeVache, 1952-1998

Kathleen LeVache, 1952-1998
Physical Education faculty
click picture to enlarge

Anne Morrisey, 1947-1974

Anne Morrissey, 1947-1974
Physical Education faculty
click picture to enlarge
 

Edna Meyer Ostertag, 1923-1948
Edna Meyer Ostertag, 1923-1948
Physical Education faculty

click picture to enlarge
 


     In 1999, the deterioration of the Sports Building necessitated its razing. Physical Education classes were relocated, and sports teams found temporary space in various Westchester locales. Plans for a new Wellness Center took off with applications for grants and a campaign involving alumnae/ni, friends of CNR, and other constituencies.

Wellness Center Invitation

     Uniting body, mind, and spirit the Center’s technologically equipped classrooms, seminar and conference rooms, and Holistic Meditation room (and garden) also incorporates a gymnasium and “natorium” (swimming pool) into an integrated space for health, well-being, and learning.

     Splashes, bounces, cheers, and laughter will be heard once again on the CNR campus. In the classrooms, discussion, silence and study will combine. Wisdom for life finds a new space.

Martha Counihan, OSU

Archivist